Re: where is the documentation for guile's "format" procedure?

From: Dale P. Smith
Subject: Re: where is the documentation for guile's "format" procedure?
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 09:33:58 -0500

"Rouben Rostamian" <address@hidden> writes:

> In Guile 1.6.4 manual we read:
>
>        You may have noticed that Guile contains a `format' procedure even
>     when the module `(ice-9 format)' is not loaded.  The default `format'
>     procedure does not support all escape sequences documented in this
>     chapter, and will signal an error if you try to use one of them.
>
> Where is guile's (not ice-9) `format' procedure documented?  I search
> but couldn't find it in the manual.

It's not in the manual, but it is documented in the internal help:

  guile> (help "simple-format")
  `simple-format' is a primitive procedure in the (guile) module.

   - Scheme Procedure: simple-format destination message . args
       Write MESSAGE to DESTINATION, defaulting to the current output
       port.  MESSAGE can contain `~A' (was `%s') and `~S' (was `%S')
       escapes.  When printed, the escapes are replaced with
       corresponding members of ARGS: `~A' formats using `display' and
       `~S' formats using `write'.  If DESTINATION is `#t', then use the
       current output port, if DESTINATION is `#f', then return a string
       containing the formatted text. Does not add a trailing newline.

The source reveals these possible escapes:

  A,a    display
  S,s    write
  %      newline
  ~      ~