cons* and append!

From: Brian S McQueen
Subject: cons* and append!
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:18:54 -0800 (PST)

I few weeks back I asked abit about list building and I got some helpful
append! yesterday.  Does anyone have any comments on this?  It seems an
excellent way of extending proper lists without copying or reallocating
elements, since it merely clobbers the trailing null list of one list and
inserts the car of the appended list in its place.  Are there some hidden
expenses I am unaware of?  Does it have to walk the entire length of the
first list to find the end?

I will look at the source code.  I should've looked at it before I wrote
this, but comments would still be appreciated!

Brian