Re: String syntax changed?

From: Paul Jarc
Subject: Re: String syntax changed?
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:11:31 -0500

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> wrote:
> address@hidden (Paul Jarc) writes:
>> Roland Orre <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>     (begin (display "$\\scriptstyle{P(A\|D)}$") (newline))
>>> ERROR: #<unknown port>:1:38: illegal character in escape sequence: #\|
>>> ABORT: (read-error)
>>> ERROR: Unbound variable: D
>>> ABORT: (unbound-variable)
>>
>> Hm.  With different string contents, this could have done something
>> dangerous.  I'm not sure what could have been done about it, though.
>
> We could gobble up the rest of the string after detecting an error.
> Any takers?

The problem is that after a syntax error, you don't really know where
the end of the string was supposed to be.  And even if you guess right
on that, you're still left in the middle of (begin (display.

Or did you mean the rest of the line?  At least interactively, we
could gobble up and discard all input until select()/poll() says there
is no more, or read in non-blobking mode until EAGAIN.

paul