Re: GOOPS-based SRFI-35 implementation

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: GOOPS-based SRFI-35 implementation
Date: 10 Mar 2004 09:17:19 +0000

Andreas Rottmann <address@hidden> writes:

> Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > (make-compound-condition &i/o-condition (...)
> >                          &runtime-condition (...))
> >
> I think you mean condition instead of make-compound-condition here.

Yes, you're right.

> It may be, but this probably involves "caching" defined (via
> define-class or the condition macro) condition types by their
> supertypes. This, in turn, disallows defining different define-class
> statements specifiying the same supers (if the supers are conditions).

Good point.

> Another, much more serious problem is the following: [...]

Yes, I see.  OK, I'm convinced by your arguments.

On rereading, I see that SRFI-35's condition types follow a single
inheritance hierarchy, and that compound conditions are a way of
combining different types within the hierarchy.  This is quite
different from the multiple inheritance allowed by GOOPS.  I'd now say
that it remains to be seen whether it will be useful and workable to
combine GOOPS-defined multiple inheritance conditions with those that
can be defined by SRFI-35.

Regards,
        Neil