Re: re-using a module

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: re-using a module
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 07:47:56 +0200

   From: Viktor Pavlenko <address@hidden>
   Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 12:27:36 -0500

   not too inclined to use "black magic" in my code...

there is a work in progress module (ice-9 gumm), snapshot at:

 http://www.glug.org/snap/core-1-4/ice-9/gumm.scm

that provides an interface to the module system internals.  you can
construct a trivial facsimile for your local guile like so:

 (define-module (ice-9 gumm))
 (define-public local-remove local-remove)
 (define-public current-module current-module)
 (define-public eval-in-module eval-in-module)
 (define-public module-ref module-ref)
 (define-public resolve-module resolve-module)
 [...]

then your code can do (use-modules (ice-9 gumm)), which may give you a
feeling of not using magic so much.  certainly it will make your code
interoperable w/ 1.4.2.  (guile-sdl and guile-pg will do this, e.g.)

in any case, i take your main point to be that load failures should not
result in inconsistent state in the first place; particular approaches
to working around this bug are of secondary concern only.  probably
1.4.1.99 will have a fix -- thanks for reminding me of this.

thi