Re: re-using a module

From: Viktor Pavlenko
Subject: Re: re-using a module
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 00:17:00 -0500

    TTN> probably it is better to speak of "unlinking" a module from
    TTN> the current module which implies breaking a single edge,
    TTN> rather than "unloading" which implies de-allocation of
    TTN> resources and a (potentially) cascading process of breaking
    TTN> many edges.  how does this syntax strike you:

    TTN> (unlink-modules MODULE-NAME [...])     ; or maybe "unuse-modules" ?

    TTN> perhaps this should only be available via (ice-9 session),
    TTN> aimed at interactive repls primarily.

    TTN>    It would be cool if there was a way to reload modules too.

    TTN> eventually the module system must support complete phase
    TTN> separation between reading and evaluation.  by reload, do you
    TTN> mean re-read, re-eval or both?  could you give an example of
    TTN> how reloading would be used?

Now I realize that unloading (or unlinking) would be tricky to
implement properly; I'd happy with the guile's `load'-like
functionality to reload a module. So I think it means re-read and
re-eval.

An example where I need reloading a module is my libtour library (see
SF) where I want to be able to re-load a module for a sports
tournament without restarting the application.

--
Viktor