Re: ASDF for guile (Was Re: guile-lib things)

From: Matthew Trout
Subject: Re: ASDF for guile (Was Re: guile-lib things)
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 14:33:20 +0100

On Sat, Jun 26, 2004 at 03:22:30PM -1000, Chris Hall wrote:
> IIUC, neither asdf nor CPAN are part of the language, or official in
> anyway - they are simply "standard" by way of popularity and common
> usage?

CPAN.pm has shipped as part of core perl since time immemorial - so it's
certainly officially recommended.

> It does seem that the amazing 'make' facility in use by so many free (as
> in speech) packages is overkill for a lot of purposes, never mind the
> challenges of doing a good make procedure.  For guile-only (no C)
> packages especially a version of asdf for guile would seem golden.

Perl is going this path - the new Module::Build system which is steadily
gaining popularity for new modules (mine included) is Makefile-free, as opposed
to the older 'perl Makefile.PL; make; make test; make install' installation
style. CPAN.pm currently handles both, and I think it might be nice if we had
a single tool to install both guile-only and guile-plus-C modules as well.

--
Bring me my etherkiller; Oh clouds unfold! / Bring me the magic smoke of desire
I shall not cease from mental fight / Nor shall my LART rest in my hand