Re: building guile-lib snapshot?

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Re: building guile-lib snapshot?
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 15:03:09 +0200

Steve Tell <address@hidden> writes:

> I downloaded
> http://download.gna.org/guile-lib/daily/guile-lib-20040625.tar.gz
>
> but how am I _supposed_ to build it?

[...]

> Looks like somthings a bit amiss in the snapshots.

Indeed, this snapshot is missing the =RELEASE-ID file. I've just
uploaded a brand-new snapshot which should work out of the BOX.

> Related to the build process, can I insert a plea for a short Readme? This
> would be especialy helpful given the alien build process (alien being
> defined these days as anything but standard-autoconf
> "./configure;make;make install").

Yeah, a README is definitly a good idea. I'll add one before the next
official release.

> And BTW, what's this about configure not wanting to run in the source
> tree?  Why do I care what happens to the source tree? I'm going to delete
> it 30 seconds after doing the install anyway.

That's an artefact of the build-system used. It's true that an
end-user wouldn't care about the source tree, but developers do; so
the author of package-framework (the build-system) has decided not to
allow configuring in-tree.

Cheers, Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann         | address@hidden      | address@hidden | address@hidden