Re: how to invoke the emacs interface for guile 1.7

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: how to invoke the emacs interface for guile 1.7
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 19:05:27 +0100

Steven Wu wrote:

On Oct 6, 2004, at 10:53 AM, Neil Jerram wrote:

Do you mean GDS (gds.el)? If so, could you try out the instructions in emacs/gds-tutorial.txt.

Not really,

Fair enough, but I'll try to sell GDS a little anyway :-)

gds is the debugger if I am not mistaken.

Kind of. Debugging is probably the hardest aspect of GDS, but GDS aims to provide the complete using-Guile-in-Emacs experience, including plain old evaluation, help and completion too. You don't have to set any breakpoints if you don't want to.

The way that GDS differs from run-guile.el, cmuscheme.el and the like, is that you use it when working on a Scheme file - like C-x C-e for Elisp - rather than by writing expressions in sequence in a special shell-like window.

I was talking about a interactive guile mode in emacs. I took Thien-Thi Nguyen's run-guile.el and modified it a little bit, and it let me to run guile as a inferior interpreter.

The new guile.el doesn't seem to do that.

No, it is quite different, and unfortunately I'm not aware of any docs to explain what it does provide.

Regards,
      Neil