Newbie - desigining apps

From: Max Polk
Subject: Newbie - desigining apps
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 21:12:45 -0400

I'm intending on moving forward with free software development and understand Guile is the official extensibility language of GNU, and that I ought to support it in my application. Makes sense, fine.

Now for this to be useful at all, my application has to be designed from the beginning to accommodate external control. That's a big thing, writing an app that controls itself by traditional design, versus writing an app that is controlled from the outside.

Have others found that supporting Guile in an application means rethinking how it runs at it's very core? For example, instead of writing use cases and designing from that, now I have a use case like "let the user call any higher-level function".

Even worse, what about object orientation? Is it possible to let the user create, then assemble together, use, then destroy various program objects, all from Guile? And how is even that done, returning C++ objects back to Guile -- I assume you would have to return a handle representing the internal program object, then add some management layer that maps these handles to internal objects.

WOW!  This is a radically new approach to software development!

Can someone can start me off on the right foot?