Worth investing in Guile?

From: Max Polk
Subject: Worth investing in Guile?
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 18:44:09 -0400

Just as I beginning to get started adding guile support to my application, a colleague provided a contrary view of the usefulness of guile. It all started out with an article from a decade-old emacs user changing to gvim:

> http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca/opinions/editors.html

And continued with this mockery of lisp, and by extension, guile:

 One part of the article mirrors what I felt about emacs all along:
 I want to use my text editor for programming, I don't want to have
 to program my text editor. I don't want to delve into the arcana of elisp.
 Lisp is a dead language, like Pascal and Ada.

It made me wonder if I should start down this road at all if the general consensus was that Lisp is a dead language. My colleague ended with a scathing assault on blindly following someone down the path RMS has charted when [he says] fewer and fewer are following that voice:

 With the advent and rise of Linux, GNOME, Sourceforge, Ximian,
 Freshmeat, and others, Stallman's abrasive and over-earnest style is
 making GNU a footnote. As the author points out, fifteen years ago,
 Stallman could shout "Everyone will now use Guile" and it would
 happen. Today, the response is, "Yeah, right" and a big yawn. While
 Stallman and his cronies are off inventing new languages and systems
 no one will use, the core of the Open Source world is continuing to
 slip from his grasp. The major packages from GNU aren't even
 maintained by Stallman's acolytes any more: gcc is a behemoth that
 lives on its own, glibc is now maintained principally by two Red Hat
 employees, binutils and GNU make haven't significantly changed in
 years. If Stallman wants to trace the origin of this trend, he
 doesn't even need to look as far as Linus Torvalds, he can look in
 his own back yard. The egcs split from gcc about ten years ago
 (yikes!!!) should have been the warning shot over the bow for
 him. The GNU group wanted to follow Stallman wherever he went, the
 egcs group just wanted to produce a superior compiler. Shortly after
 the split, it became apparent that users wanted quality and weren't
 impressed with Stallman's vision. If the GNU team hadn't swallowed
 their pride, no one would even know what gcc is today.

Does he have a point here, and if so, what other options are available for scripting languages to be embedded into applications? Are there python or perl [or any other] embedding hooks for external scripting of your application that are just as reasonable to use as Guile?