Re: Keyword syntax

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: Keyword syntax
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:56:10 +0200

address@hidden (Paul Jarc) writes:

> Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> wrote:
>> As to 1), the simplest change would be to just do the equivalent of
>> (symbol->keyword (read port)).
>
> I like this way too.

Ok, I'll keep it that way then.

>>         guile> #:12
>>         ERROR: Wrong type (expecting symbol): 12
>
> You could add a bit of backward compatibility:
>
> (let ((obj (read port)))
>   (symbol->keyword
>    (if (symbol? obj)
>      obj
>      (string->symbol (object->string obj)))))
>
> But I'm not sure this would be worth it, or if there may be corner
> cases where it produces a different keyword.

This wouldn't be very much backwards compatible, I'm afraid, since
'read' is very much different from reading a token (with an internal
reader function).

We could keep more backwards compatability by continuing to read the
keyword name as a token, but only acception names that are proper
symbol names.  Should we?