Re: Uniform vectors, user survey

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Uniform vectors, user survey
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 15:02:20 +0100

Marius Vollmer wrote:

Hi,
Hi Marius

I want to unify our two implementations of uniform vectors, and make
them more useful.
Sounds like a good objective.

I have close to zero experience with using uniform vectors myself, so
I appreciate your input.  Do you use uniform vectors?  What for?  Did
you try but couldn't make them work for you?  What do you wish would
be different about them?  Etc.
I use uniform byte vectors in my Guile extension to an application whose interfaces are all expressed in terms of C structs, so that I can build the struct (represented as a uniform byte vector) in Scheme and then call a C function that does the generic "dispatch this struct" operation.

I could now rewrite this using a SMOB instead (and arguably should, as that would give me better control over how the struct memory is shared between C and Scheme), but that would have slowed down my prototyping, and at the time it was very nice to get something up and running quickly.

Hope this is useful.

Regards,
Neil