Re: Uniform vectors, user survey

From: Peter Christopher
Subject: Re: Uniform vectors, user survey
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 14:34:41 -0400 (EDT)

Hi there,

        Just thought I'd weigh in. I used the uniform vectors to
construct what amounts to a guile version of NumericPython. I.e. I used
uniform vectors of double precision numbers. I found the interface to be
fairly usable. I do have one HUGE pet peeve though. I grant you that this
is just a peeve and not a major difficulty but ... I HATE the way you
select what type of elements will be stored in the vector. For instance
as it says at
http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/docs/guile-ref/Uniform-Arrays.html#Uniform%20Arrays
you create a vector with (make-uniform-array <prototype> 3) where
<prototype> is one of
#t             boolean (bit-vector)                    b
#\a            char (string)                           a
#\nul          byte (integer)                          y
's             short (integer)                         h
1              unsigned long (integer)                 u
-1             signed long (integer)                   e
'l             signed long long (integer)              l
1.0            float (single precision)                s
1/3            double (double precision float)         i
0+i            complex (double precision)              c
()             conventional vector
I don't like the left most column. I think that it's ugly because it's
not necessarily obvious to the reader of the code what type you are
storing in the vector. IMHO it would be better to use symbols as the
prototype arguments, for example
'bool             boolean (bit-vector)                    b
'char             char (string)                           a
'byte             byte (integer)                          y
'short            short (integer)                         h
'ulong            unsigned long (integer)                 u
'long             signed long (integer)                   e
'longlong         signed long long (integer)              l
'float            float (single precision)                s
'double           double (double precision float)         i
'complex          complex (double precision)              c
This way it is obvious what kind of uniform vector you're constructing.
Ok ... yea I know this isn't a killer problem, but it has always annoyed
me.

Also, I want to stress that *I* think that uniform vectors are a very
important guile feature. They may not be used a lot, BUT they allow
developers to (conveniently) make some applications that would
otherwise be very performance hindering.

And there are my 2 cents.

Best,
Pete