Re: Uniform vectors, user survey

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: Uniform vectors, user survey
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:00:03 -0700 (PDT)

To be honest, I rarely used them.  Standard vectors and lists are good
enough for me.  I don't seem to have any memory or speed problems in
what I'm doing.

I've always thought the way the "old" vectors used prototypes, such as
'a' or 1/3, in scm_dimensions_to_uniform_array and related functions
was a bit ad hoc.  I'd have preferred something more orderly.

It is true the SMOBs could be wrangled to do the work, but, SMOBs still
remain an unintuitive subject for anyone just coming to Guile.  The
barrier for entry is too high in 1.6: the documentation talks a lot
about memory, allocation, garbage collection, etc, which ideally is
what one is trying to avoid learning by using Scheme.

Vociferous in my ignorance,

--
Mike