Re: Uniform vectors, user survey

From: Steve Tell
Subject: Re: Uniform vectors, user survey
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:50:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Marius Vollmer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to unify our two implementations of uniform vectors, and make
> them more useful.

In general, sounds like a good idea.

> I have close to zero experience with using uniform vectors myself, so
> I appreciate your input.  Do you use uniform vectors?  What for?  Did
> you try but couldn't make them work for you?  What do you wish would
> be different about them?  Etc.

In a quick survey of my code, I've always used uniform vectors to
store scheme objects (booleans or lists) an never for the 10 numeric types
allowed by srfi-4 vectors.
I remember chosing uniform vectors over the related vector and array
types when I knew that the length wouldn't change and the types were all,
well, uniform.  The vector and uniform-vector procedures seemed a bit
simpler than the array ones, but (non-uniform) vectors or arrays would
probably have worked.

I've never used uniform vectors as part of an interface to C code. I don't
think the documentation covered the srfi4 back when I first wrote many of
the things I surveyed.

Steve