Re: Uniform vectors, user survey

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: Uniform vectors, user survey
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 18:01:39 +0100

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:

> - vector? will be true for all zero-origin, one-dimensional arrays,

I will not do this right away, since I can't really convince myself
that this is the Right Thing.

There will first be vectors, strings, bit vectors, and uniform numeric
vectors; and all will be disjoint.  Together, they might be called
'generalized vector types'.

Then there will be arrays, which will include all the generalized
vector types, and more (such as non-zero origin 'vectors', and
multi-dimensional arrays.)  Arrays can use any one of the generalized
vector types for their storage, and the array procedures will work
with strict arrays and with any of the generalized vector types.

[ Incidentally, vector-length, vector-ref, and vector-set are
  primitive generics right now, and one can thus add methods to them
  for new types.  But vector? remains unaffected by that, and of
  course the existing C API will not work with these extended vector
  types...
]

Later we might want to arrange the genralized vector types
differently.

OK?