Re: The future: accessing vectors, arrays, etc from C

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: The future: accessing vectors, arrays, etc from C
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 20:12:20 -0800 (PST)

--- Neil Jerram <address@hidden> wrote:

> However, I wonder if perhaps we should have a more explicit and
> public
> policy on the level of change that is (i) acceptable and (ii) likely,
>
> from one major release to the next, so that developers know what to
> expect?
>
> What do you (and everyone else) think?

The design goals and expected improvements of 1.8 over 1.6 are unclear
to me.  I don't track those discussions closely.

Every change to the API increases the risk of problems in updating a
code base, but, if the reward gained is great enough, the risk is
acceptable.

I'm fine with these array API changes.  They work.  If if should be
done, do it.  But, it would be comforting to see that the API
approaches a frozen state as the design goals of 1.8 are met.

(If the API is sufficiently different to disallow interoperation
between a 1.6 codebase and a 1.8 codebase, it may as well be called
2.0.)

-
Mike Gran