Re: Some introductory docs about C level threading

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: Some introductory docs about C level threading
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 20:28:36 +0100

address@hidden writes:

>>    For some comming blocking operations, Guile provides convenience
>               ^^^^^^^
> coming? common? (I guess second)

'Common', thanks!

> I'm not much into Guile these days, so sorry if I'm asking the
> obvious: is there a function to defer something to a safe point?
> (like I'm `outside Guile', say in a signal handler and want to do
> some things there and leave others for when I'm at a safe point and
> say scm_execute_at_safe_point(closure).

Right now, you can only queue asynchronous execution from within
Guile, but we should probably offer a way to do this from outside
Guile.  The problem is that outside of Guile, you can not deal with
SCM values at all, so we would have to package up an opaque object
that contains all information while in guile mode, which could then be
triggered from outside of guile.

> The implementation itself has to have this, of course.

Yes, via some magic.  Might be worth it to package up this magic as
outlines above.

Anyone? :-)