Re: Refactoring dynamic roots

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Refactoring dynamic roots
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:03:44 +0100

Hi Marius,

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 21:55 +0100, Marius Vollmer wrote:
> I have a dim plan for redoing dynamic roots in a more useful way and I
> like to test the ideas out on you.

Yay :)

> Also, entering a dynamic root
> now unwinds the active dynamic-winds to the root and winds them back
> when leaving the root.  This might not be wanted and is potentially
> expensive.

Whenever I've been tempted to use a dynamic root for something, this has
been a sticking point. Probably because of the conflation of
continuation barriers and new dynamic states, as you are calling them.

> ** Controlling the dynamic state

It does sound like a good idea to have ports be represented by fluids
underneath.

Have you seen http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-39/srfi-39.html -- Parameter
objects? As long as we're redesigning, no harm in using a standard
interface to the problem.

Cheers,
--
Andy Wingo