Re: Some introductory docs about C level threading

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Some introductory docs about C level threading
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:05:41 +0100

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 09:58:52AM -0600, Rob Browning wrote:
> address@hidden writes:

[about putting a deferred call to Guile from a handler or similar]

> > Yes, I imagine that this is the hard part. But it might be the
> > really useful one, epecially for non-Guile apps onto which a Guile
> > interpreter gets tacked [...]

> Though it might be to slow, a simple alternative would be to just have
> a guile thread watch a C data structure that the server signal handler
> manipulates.

I'm not as much concerned about speed as I am about understandability
of the programmer interface. What you propose is a perfectly valid
implementation technique -- what I'm afraid of is that everyone ends
up with a (slightly different) half-correct solution.

My point was rather a `since the implementation is doing this anyway,
and this would be a clearly understandable and simple interface function,
why not provide it?'.

Regards
-- tomás