ISO Latin 1 characters - unicode - UTF-8 - guile - gnome-guile - lost in

From: David Pirotte
Subject: ISO Latin 1 characters - unicode - UTF-8 - guile - gnome-guile - lost in translations ...
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 18:13:05 +0200

Hi all,

pango_layout_set_text() expects valid UTF-8 strings

so I manually write strings such as:

        "référence"   english: reference      [référence]

                which in unicode representation is

                r\u00E9f\u00E9rence

and it's ok.

But passing a guile string containing glyphs symbols for non ascii
characters does not work for all of them, for example:

        "déjà "        english: already        [déjà]

                which in unicode representation is

                d\u00E9j\u00E0

because (I am not sure of this) the glyph reprensentation contains
a #\space

Any hint idea how I could at least temporarily solve my problem?

Thanks
David

ps:     is there any hope that guile handles internationalisation
        in its core modules some time soon?