automated testing (was Re: deprecated symbol warnings)

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: automated testing (was Re: deprecated symbol warnings)
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 13:17:15 -0400

On May 18, 2005, at 08:20, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
This sounds like a good idea.  However, this would need to be somewhat
automated, like Debian's build system, still without compromising on the
user's privacy and control.  I think that's a project of its own, isn't
it?  :-)

Definitely.

FWIW, I use a separate, dedicated account for this sort of thing at work. (Not enough cycles to add Guile builds on many of these machines. But maybe a couple.) That still essentially means you've giving random developers access to your machine, if somewhat indirectly, so unless you trust them all, you probably still want to be somewhat careful. There are various OS-specific approaches to confining a collection of processes in different ways, but of course part of the goal is to do testing across a variety of platforms as well as different configurations of certain popular platforms. Using chroot only gets you so far, but UML or VMware won't tell you if you've got problems on Alphas running Tru64. So I suspect a variety of approaches would be needed -- depending in part on how concerned the system owner is about access to random data on their system.

In fact, at the end of the day, I think maybe the test-running and result-collecting and -reporting might be one interesting project, and the build isolation probably several other interesting projects or products (UML, Bochs, Plex, SIMH, PearPC, VMware, Mac On Linux, FreeBSD jails, Solaris 10's ... um ... whatever they called it). There are plenty of people working on the latter set. Anyone want to put together the former?

And if a potential tester doesn't have much stuff that a Guile build absolutely has to be kept away from, or they've just got a reasonable amount of trust in the other Guile developers, they could use the dedicated-account approach and a cron job, and not worry about it....

Ken