Re: Module unloading

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Module unloading
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 13:57:50 -0500

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

> What happens "inside" the library when it is dlopened?  I thought
> nothing, so I doubt that loading and unloading per se would be a
> problem.
>
> If a single program called scm_init_guile() twice without the library
> being unloaded and reloaded first ... I doubt the code would handle
> that, but I'd say this is incorrect use of the API.
>
> If a single program calls scm_init_guile(), later unloads libguile,
> the reloads libguile and calls scm_init_guile() ... I'd say this
> _ought_ to work, and it probably mostly does as long as reloading
> reinitializes libguile's global data.  Since there is no
> scm_term_guile(), though, I suspect we would also have leaked a lot of
> memory on the heap.

I was also concerned about any pending signals, callbacks registered
with other libraries, or anything else that has been set up by code
executed from guile.

I was concerned that there may be trouble unless there's some way of
enumerating all of these things and undoing them, and that seems like
it might be difficult in the general case.

--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org; previously @cs.utexas.edu