Managing Guile and extensions versions

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Managing Guile and extensions versions
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 09:10:46 +0200

Hi,

Vorfeed Canal <address@hidden> writes:

> Of course it must - how else can it load them ? With my patch it knows
> about few default places and can be instructed about other places in
> nice shemely way.

Yes, your patch seems to be one possible solution.  However, why not use
`pkglibdir' (versionizing it) which you mentioned in earlier posts
instead of this new directory?

The other thing needed, which you also mentioned earlier, is to have a
versionized site directory.  I've actually always wondered why this one
was not versioned.

>> This is true I guess, because `dynamic-link' doesn't allow to specify
>> version info.  _This_ is an issue and maybe this procedure could be
>> fixed by allowing the user to pass Libtool-like version information.
>
> This is one solution. And IMO not the best solution.

That's a solution to one of the two problems, the two problems being:

1.  Separating C libraries that are written for different versions of
    Guile, allowing to have versions of the same extension written for
    different Guile versions to coexist;

2.  Allowing to have different versions of a given extension for a same
    version of Guile.

Your patch addresses (1).  This `dynamic-link' thing could be used to
address (2).  It could be used to address (1) instead, but certainly not
both of them.  Anyway, we'd first need `libltdl' to allow for such
things.  I started to ask the Libtool people about this:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2005-09/msg00118.html .

Thanks,
Ludovic.