Re: Managing Guile and extensions versions

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: Managing Guile and extensions versions
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 11:53:02 +1000

Vorfeed Canal <address@hidden> writes:

>> GUILE=/myexperiments/guile/bin/guile \
>> GUILE_CONFIG=/myexperiments/guile/bin/guile-config \
>> GUILE_TOOLS=/myexperiments/guile/bin/guile-tools \

I would set the PATH, this probably works though.

> $ /myexperiments/guile/bin/guile -c '(use myextension modulename) ...'

The short answer is: nothing special.

To run guile from a non-default location (anywhere except /usr I
think), I believe you need to put the new libdir into
LTDL_LIBRARY_PATH.  This is so guile can find its own C code modules.
Having set that it will find extensions like yours too.

The alternative, as I said, is to have your scm know the libdir you
were configured with.  This has the advantage of working if the user
installs your code to a different prefix than guile.  (Which may be
unlikely, but is quite possible.)

(Indicentally, I think guile should know its own libdir and know to
look there.  But a non-standard location is just that,
ie. non-standard, so it's not totally unreasonable to have to tell the
linking process about it.)