Re: Modified load-path proposal

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Modified load-path proposal
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 12:17:15 +0100

Andreas Rottmann <address@hidden> writes:

> I strongly support making this the default/standard way, too. I'd be
> highly annoyed (well, that's an understatement ;)) if a "./configure
> && make && sudo make install" of some package would put files under
> /usr just because guile happens to be installed there.

Fundamentally, however, it's up to the package author, and autoconf
provides no way to police this.

Also note that for Elisp files the recommended method is to use
AM_PATH_LISPDIR, which will install Elisp files to wherever your Emacs
is installed, not to $prefix.  Does that annoy you also?

The mechanism I'm proposing is a bit more flexible than that, but the
basic idea in both cases is that the core distribution (either Emacs
or Guile) has a view on where it wants add-on packages to be installed
(and hence which may be different from the add-on package's $prefix).

     Neil