Re: Modified load-path proposal

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: Modified load-path proposal
Date: 15 Oct 2005 11:03:35 -0400

  The mechanism I'm proposing is a bit more flexible than that, but the
  basic idea in both cases is that the core distribution (either Emacs
  or Guile) has a view on where it wants add-on packages to be installed
  (and hence which may be different from the add-on package's $prefix).

I think this is the crux of the disagreement.  I, and I think Andreas,
feel that putting stuff in a different prefix is somewhere between
wrong and inelegant.  Guile will have a way to reference code outside
of it's prefix, so it will still be seamless, so the kludge of putting
lisp code built with a prefix different from that of emacs in emacs'
prefix isn't necessary.  So I'd like the core distribution to at least
be neutral on what the 'right' way is, and explain both
in-guile's-prefix and in-the-prefix-that-was-given methods.

--
        Greg Troxel <address@hidden>