Re: new slib and guile 1.6.7

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: new slib and guile 1.6.7
Date: 08 Nov 2005 13:01:48 -0500

Rob Browning <address@hidden> writes:

>   $ ./pre-inst-guile
>   guile> (load-from-path "slib/guile.init")
>   guile> (require 'new-catalog)
>   guile> (require 'fft)
>   guile> fft
>   #<procedure fft (ara)>
>   guile>
>
> At least from this admittedly trivial test, ignoring ice-9/slib.scm
> and using the slib guile.init directly seems to work.
>
> So do we have any known arguments against just using slib's guile.init
> and submitting fixes upstream?

I don't have any, but note that we need to have

(use-modules (ice-9 slib))

make adequate symbols visible in the using module.  Given that
guile.init has code to use define-public most of the time, putting the
load insidde the module definition of (ice-9 slib) seems fine.

Definitely the case error should be fed back upstream.  I think it's
sufficient for guile.init to declare a preferred case and always use
that, since that would work with either case-sensitive or insensitive
parsers.

--
        Greg Troxel <address@hidden>