Guile test libraries, regression testing and `make check'

From: Michael J. Barillier
Subject: Guile test libraries, regression testing and `make check'
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 15:26:53 -0600

The Guile source distribution has a test-suite directory that contains a
script and library with procedures for running tests on the Guile
library and REPL when `make check' is invoked.  Googling the web I found
a v1.4 Guile manual
<http://www.glug.org/docbits/guile/1.4.x/POSIX-Style-Testing.html> that
at least implied this code was in ice-9 at some point but it's not there
now.  Why was it removed?  And, is there a suitable replacement so that
a ``pragmatically efficient'' (i.e. lazy) hacker can quickly and easily
create a test suite for a Guile library that runs under automake's
`check' target?  IMHO putting the code back in the set of installed
files, or alternatively creating something like a `guile-test-suite'
package, would be beneficial.

thx -

--
Michael J. Barillier   ///   http://www.blackwolfinfosys.net/~blackwolf/