Re: JIT compiler

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: JIT compiler
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 13:47:20 +0100

David Pirotte <address@hidden> writes:

>>   $ tla get address@hidden/guile-vm--revival--0.6  guile-vm
>>
>>                       ^                            ^                ^
>>                       |                            |                |
>>              name of the archive           name of the branch    directory
>>              you just registered             you wanna get
>
> is there a similar command to (once you registered) get the latest...:
>
>       cd <cvs checkout location>
>       cvs update -d
>
> that I could understand and use :-) [and remember :-)]

Sure, and it's called `update'.  :-)  To summarize:

  # Teach tla that some archive (or ``repository'') is available at URI.
  $ tla register-archive URI

  # At this point, it knows that an archive named
  # address@hidden' is available at URI.
  # From now on, you will always use this name and not the URI.

  # You can now get files from that archive.

  $ tla get address@hidden/C--B--V  DIR
  # This retrieves the latest version of the branch C--B--V into
  # directory DIR.

  $ cd DIR

  # Updating the local copy, as with `cvs update':
  $ tla update

It's not all that complicated.  All you need is to be aware of certain
conventions, some of which are, well, quite unusual (some might say
``weird'').  ;-) Most importantly, you need to know that
``repositories'' are usually called ``archives'', and that a particular
naming scheme is enforced for branch names, namely
CATEGORY--BRANCH--VERSION.  And yes, conventions in GNU Arch are a
controversial topic.

More information is available in the (slightly outdated) tutorial:
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnu-arch/tutorial/arch.html .

Thanks,
Ludovic.