Re: scm_ documentation

From: Jon Wilson
Subject: Re: scm_ documentation
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 17:24:18 -0600

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for responding!

Note, I just saw the 1.8 release message and new manual today. Everything in this email still applies to 1.6, however.

Kevin Ryde wrote:
Jon Wilson <address@hidden> writes:

but all I've found is the section on trasitioning from gh_ to scm_,
which isn't very complete.

What gh funcs are missing for instance?

I actually intended to mean that the gh_ to scm_ section was not a very complete documentation of the scm_ interface. Of course, there is no reason it should be a complete doc of scm_; that is not its purpose. In the absence of any other scm_ doc, the statement should be taken to mean that the only existing doc (that I could find) for scm_ is rather incomplete. However, I realize that that was not really clear from what I actually said. Sorry. :-/

and not found several of the scm_ functions which are mentioned in
the gh_ to scm_ transition page.

Such as?

scm_mem2str is the particular one that I was looking for. It is mentioned on the gh_ to scm_ transition page as the scm_ replacement for gh_str2scm.

Also, all of the following are found on the gh_ to scm_ page, but are not mentioned in the procedure index.

scm_c_eval_string
scm_c_primitive_load
SCM_DEFER_INTS
SCM_ALLOW_INTS
SCM_DEFER_INTS
scm_ulong2num
scm_long2num
scm_make_real
scm_mem2string
scm_makfrom0str
scm_str2symbol
scm_str02symbol
scm_num2int
scm_num2ulong
scm_num2long
scm_num2dbl
SCM_VALIDATE_CHAR
SCM_BOOLP
SCM_NUMBERP
SCM_INEXACTP
SCM_EQ_P
scm_eq_p
scm_eqv_p
scm_equal_p
scm_string_equal_p
SCM_NULLP
SCM_CXXR
SCM_CXXXR
scm_listify
scm_num2ulong
scm_listify
scm_apply

It's not good to recommend something that's not otherwise
documented.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this.  What was I recommending?

(Make sure you're looking at the new 1.8 release manual, it's had some
work since 1.6 series.)

Well, it seems to make sense for me to look at the 1.6 manual, as I am using guile 1.6.4. I may soon move to guile 1.8.x, but currently 1.6.4 is what I am using.

Regards,
Jon