Re: docstrings and snarfing

From: dsmich
Subject: Re: docstrings and snarfing
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 14:21:00 -0400

---- Kevin Ryde <address@hidden> wrote:
> "Dave Griffiths" <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > I tried running the example through the C preprocessor, and it seems
> > the docstring is lost anyway:
>
> There's some magic with a "-DSCM_MAGIC_SNARF_DOCS" to get them, then
> the scripts/snarf-check-and-output-texi program picks them out from
> the code.  (Or something like that.)  Not documented in the manual
> though (alas).

Docsnarfing is something I'd like to see made available (again) for quite some
time now.  The pieces that implement this for Guile (several scripts and some
compiled code) are not currently installed.  It was at one time, but removed
because of the difficulty in supporting all the platfroms that Guile supports.
(If I remember correctly)

I've been (very slowly!) bringing scwm up to date with Guile 1.8.  Scwm uses
docstrings as heavily as emacs.  It would *really* be great to have docsnarfing
working again.  My currenty plans are to lift the Guile code and inlcude it as
part of scwm.

-Dale