Re: saving and restoring the error stack trace

From: dsmich
Subject: Re: saving and restoring the error stack trace
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 23:08:46 -0400

---- Neil Jerram <address@hidden> wrote:
> Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Thanks; I expect to have some draft text for you by end tomorrow.
>
> Draft text is below; please let me know your thoughts on it - most
> importantly, of course, whether it answers your question!

> 5.21.2 Debugging when an error occurs

Thank you, thank you!  This bit of documentation has been sorely needed for a
long time.  Many people come to Guile from the "C side" with poor or
nonexistant Scheme experience.  Usually to add Guile to some C application,
which of course throws out the REPL and it's backtracing and error reporting
capabilities.  So then when errors happen you have no idea where or how.
Making a C program extended by Guile spit out a proper backtrace is a twisty
maze of handlers and catchers, and some of them need to be lazy.  (Lazy? Why
would I want a *lazy* handler, I want  a hard-working, full-featured kind of
handler, not some wimpy light weight *lazy* handler!)

My point is that getting good backtraces from C is non-obvious and a huge
hindrance to people just learning how to use Guile and Scheme.  But that's over
now.  Thanks again Neil.

-Dale