Re: guile debugging (was: Missing ice-9 debugger breakpoints)

From: Carlos Pita
Subject: Re: guile debugging (was: Missing ice-9 debugger breakpoints)
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 12:16:54 -0300 (ART)

> > Would guile-debugging be eventually merged with
> guile core?
>
> Yes, this is in progress right now.  I don't think
> it will be in time
> for the next stable release (1.8.1), though.

Great! I've tried the CVS version, but throws some
errors when debug-trapping (quoted below), so I guess
I'll give a try to the package in gna + 1.8.0, as you
suggest. By the way, isn't there a simple way to
invoke the debugger from an arbitrary point of code?
(debug) requires that an error have happened. I do a
lot of that kind of debugging when programming python,
entering the interactive debugger by simply inserting
an invocation to it in a relevant point of my code:
pdb.set_trace(). It's not very sophisticated, it
requires source code modification, but its handy most
of the time and afaik seems to be pretty easy to
implement (but perhaps there are good reasons to limit
(debug) invokations to post-error scenarios, I don't
know). Please don't misunderstand me, I don't mean
that all the trap and breakpoint stuff is pointless,
your work looks very promising and I crave for it
being integrated to the next stable release. Just that
it seems so easy to extend (debug) or smoething
similar to be invoked from arbitrary places... (even
if the interactive debugger didn't provide a stepper,
it would still be pretty useful). Perhaps a macro that
simple replaces itself by (/ 1 0) will do the trick
:).

Thank you for your prompt answer.

Best regards,
Carlos

guile> (use-modules (ice-9 debugger)
...                          (ice-9 debugging
ice-9-debugger-extensions)
...                          (ice-9 debugging
breakpoints))
guile> (define (f x y) (+ x y))
guile> (set! (default-breakpoint-behaviour)
debug-trap)
guile> (break-in 'f)
$1 = #<<break-in> a7aff6f0>
guile> (f 2 3)
This is the Guile debugger -- for help, type `help'.
There are 2 frames on the stack.

Frame 1 at unknown source location
        [f 2 3]
ERROR: Unbound variable: read-and-dispatch-commands
ABORT: (unbound-variable)
guile>

Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).