Re: netl protocol summary?

From: Marco Maggi
Subject: Re: netl protocol summary?
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 20:59:40 +0200

"Neil Jerram" wrote:
>"Marco Maggi" <address@hidden> writes:
>> Is there a list of net protocols available for Guile
>> in modules and/or extensions?
>
> [...]
>
> there might be something in this area in Andy Wingo's
> guile-library package.

Mh, no.

> Of course there are the http implementations in mod_lisp
> and guile-www.

Guile-www  is  nowhere  to   be  found,  at  least  from  my
observation point to the Net.

> Is there any resource at schemers.org for finding out
> this kind of thing?

There are many resources, but not this one AFAICS.

  The reason I am asking is that, for the not near future, I
laid my eyes on a couple of SMTP C language libraries and on
GNU mailutils (which already has some Guile binding).

  I would like to have a  C language library for SMTP that I
can  use in  Guile  and  non-Guile code  and  that does  not
duplicate code  that I already have in  the GEE distribution
(like base64 codec and SSL usage).

  None  of the libraries  that I  have seen  so far  has the
model that I  like, some is not well  documented and some is
not  well implemented  (no hooks  for memory  allocation and
errors in protocol implementation).

  So work is  needed and I do not  want to duplicate efforts
already done by others.

  I have  to say that I was  not aware of how  much work has
been put  into GNU mailutils,  and I am impressed;  but they
left behind  the documentation of the C  libraries... Hey! I
see that on July they released version 1.0 (after two years),
I will look into it...

--
Marco Maggi

"They say jump!, you say how high?"
Rage Against the Machine - "Bullet in the Head"