Re: Guile Interpreter as a Standalone Server

From: Volkan YAZICI
Subject: Re: Guile Interpreter as a Standalone Server
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 23:27:35 +0300

Hi,

On Oct 13 02:30, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Looks like nobody answered you, so here we go.

Thanks so much for your detailed post. I solved (a small part of) my
problem by invoking scm_init_guile() just at the start of the backend
process. (But caching parse plans is still a PITA for now.) OTOH, in
this design I've some other problems about restoring global values after
execution code supplied by the user. (I'll talk about this later in
another thread.)

> Neil's new debugging framework (`guile-debugging', available in CVS HEAD
> or on gna.org [0]) has support to send code for execution to a remote
> Guile process so that might be useful to you.
>
> However, as far as improving efficiency is concerned, I do not think
> that running a single process is the right approach.  Profiling and then
> improving Guile's startup may be a smarter approach.  ;-)
>
> As for sharing information among processes: One could argue that the
> notion of a process (and address space) is only vital for
> non-memory-safe languages (such as C), and that memory-safe languages
> (such as Scheme and Java) do not need such a mechanism because they
> already provide other mechanisms to achieve memory safety (closures,
> module systems, etc. --- see [1] on that topic).
>
> Thus, providing mechanisms to share information among "processes" (or
> "modules", or "programs") would more likely be the job of a "shell",
> i.e., some sort of an enhanced REPL that has all the authority of the
> user behind the keyboard (i.e., it can access all the data, programs and
> resources the user has access to).  GUSH (``GNU User's Shell'') was more
> or less an attempt to provide such a shell based on Guile, and indeed,
> it would have been able to execute any Guile program _within_ the GUSH
> process.  SCSH [2] is similar to that, and there's also a Guile port [3]
> (not sure whether this is the last version).
>
> Hope this helps,
> Ludovic.
>
> [0] https://gna.org/projects/guile-debugging
> [1] Jonathan Rees, "A Security Kernel Based on the Lambda-Calculus",
>     http://mumble.net/~jar/pubs/secureos/ --- a enlightening paper.
> [2] http://scsh.net/
> [3] http://arglist.com/guile/

Thanks again,