Re: mmap in guile -- guile memory management question

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: mmap in guile -- guile memory management question
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 14:17:41 +1100

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

> Yes from me; it sounds interesting and useful.

Me too.

Stringbufs have room for another flag that could say they're mmaps
(and hence should free with munmap).

I suppose a string is only good while strings are uninterpreted
8-bits.  When they're some encoding I guess it has to be u8vectors or
whatever r6rs introduces.

One thing to contemplate if using strings would be how the string
copy-on-write stuff should work.  If file contents are changing then
you might not want `substring' to defer the copy (yet most of the time
you probably do want to defer).