Re: debugging scheme module

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: debugging scheme module
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 13:54:05 +0100

Hi,

Al Nikolov <address@hidden> writes:

> Fatal error: [library-name] wrong-type-arg: ("caddar" "Wrong type argument
> in position ~A: ~S" (1 ()) #f)

This means that at some point, `caddar' is invoked and is passed `#f'
instead of a list.  :-)

> Since my scheme code is bigger than two parenthesis and three lines, i
> feel myself totally embarassed by having absolutely no idea where to look
> for the trouble and what those "~A"s and "#f"s mean.

You could try the following:

  (read-enable 'debug)
  (debug-enable 'debug)

This has to be done early enough, ideally when Guile starts up (or when
your first Scheme file gets read).  If you use 1.8, then it should show
a complete backtrace instead of just an error line.

Alternatively, you can run `guile' with the `--debug' option (if that is
an option for you).

Hope this helps,
Ludovic.