Re: alloca bug

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: alloca bug
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 11:23:14 +0000

Jon Wilson <address@hidden> writes:

> alloca.c from where?  From libc?  If so, which libc?  Or do you mean
> some file alloca.c within the guile source?

Yes, there's a libguile/alloca.c in Guile CVS.  It probably doesn't
survive into any distributions though (and shouldn't).

> I'm puzzled now.  Could you please clarify exactly what you are
> talking about?

After reviewing the thread again, I think my interjection was a red
herring - sorry.

I noticed that libguile/alloca.c was still around, when I thought it
had been removed, and got worried about that.  In fact I don't think
it can ever get built in, so it can't do any harm.

> What I was referring to was the fact that when you #include stdlib.h
> on a BSD system, and then use autoconf's blob of code to define
> alloca, using the BSD default libc and cc, you get a preprocessor
> error that says that alloca has already been defined.  Or, at the
> least, guile's libguile/eval.c does #include stdlib.h, and does use
> autoconf's blob, and produces such an error.  The location of the
> previous definition is given as stdlib.h.  Are we talking about the
> same thing?  If so, I need some help understanding what you've said.

Thanks, I understand now.  Agree that this is a bug with the autoconf
blob for BSD.  Has anyone reported it yet?

In the meantime, can we fix this for guile by just adding #ifndef
alloca around the whole blob?  Would that have bad effects on other
OSs?

Regards,
     Neil