Re: How could this be implemented?

From: Per Bothner
Subject: Re: How could this be implemented?
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 16:04:31 -0800

Jon Wilson wrote:
Or, for instance, we might do:

(ls -a /home/fooguy/.gnome*)

The return value of such an expression would be a read-write port connected to stdin and stdout for the program running. When eval found a symbol in the first spot of a list that it didn't know,

You really have to treat ls as a macro, which is resolved at
compile-time.  Otherwise, it becomes near-impossible to
compile name-lookup efficiently.  And if you can't compile
it, it's a toy. See:
http://per.bothner.com/papers/beyond-scripting/

> ... and it is bound to some value that we can see ...

This is the hard part: what does "that we can see" mean?

You might fix this interesting:
http://per.bothner.com/software/#Q
and specifically:
http://per.bothner.com/software/Q/Qshell.html