Re: Proof of concept dynamic FFI

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Proof of concept dynamic FFI
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 10:51:20 +0200

Hi,

Jon Wilson <address@hidden> writes:

> I've written a bit of code that lets you call any function from a
> dynamically loaded shared lib with any args.  Well, actually, since it
> is just a proof of concept, it only lets you call functions that take
> zero or one args.  The arg (if there is one) must be of type int.  The
> return type can be either void or int.

Interesting.  If I were to write this, I'd use GNU lightning to compile
natively the glue code instead of having to go through
`foreign-dispatch' (alternatively, there's libffi which can help a bit,
but it adds an indirection).  You also need to make sure that building a
"foreign lambda" is fast since this would typically have to be done a
number of times at startup.

Thanks,
Ludovic.