Building Guile 1.8.2 on Solaris

From: Tom Szilagyi
Subject: Building Guile 1.8.2 on Solaris
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 15:36:20 +0200

Hi,

Today I have built Guile 1.8.2 on Solaris 8. Info printed by 'uname':
SunOS 5.8 Generic_108528-29 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-1500

The reason I am writing is that I had to hack Guile a little bit to
make it compile. There were problems with:
(1) 64bit version of readdir_r (readdir64_r), which I have traced to
the HAVE_STAT64 being defined in the toplevel config.h;
(2) reentrant version of readdir (readdir_r), which I have traced to
the HAVE_READDIR_R being defined in config.h;
(3) PTHREAD_ONCE_INIT missing brace around initializer, which
was caused by wrong value set in libguile/scmconfig.h for the
SCM_NEED_BRACES_ON_PTHREAD_ONCE_INIT define.

So what I have done to make it compile after the configure step:
(1) in config.h, comment out the HAVE_STAT64 define;
(2) in config.h, comment out the HAVE_READDIR_R define;
(3) in libguile/scmconfig.h, change SCM_NEED_BRACES_ON_PTHREAD_ONCE_INIT
to 1 from 0.

With these changes the source compiles and the Guile seems
to be fully usable (haven't tested it too much yet).

I wonder if the above is the result of bugs/omissions in the build
system of Guile, or perhaps errors in my software environment
(I have a fair amount of GNU stuff compiled and installed from
source on top of Solaris) or perhaps both.

I should be glad to test patches you might throw at me.

Thanks,
Tom