Re: What is best way to limit memory alloc?

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: What is best way to limit memory alloc?
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 10:02:47 +1000

Roland Orre <address@hidden> writes:

>> What is the best way to limit the memory allocation in guile?

Perhaps setrlimit would be the most reliable overall.

>> I'm still running 1.7 as I haven't got the time and energy
>> to change the array implementation yet.

I struck a bug lately in 1.8 where the collected cell counts are somehow
botched, leading to it wrongly thinking new heap is needed again and
again.

>> It seems as the memory allocator in guile doesn't care about
>> the physical memory limits and it seems as it prefers to
>> allocate big chunks of more memory instead of performing gc
>> despite very little extra memory should be needed.

It's not supposed to.  The rule is supposed to be to increase the heap
to make 40% of it free, after gc figures what's free and what's not, or
something like that.  In practice it means blocks each 1.6x (or so)
bigger than the one before getting allocated.  (As seen in `gc-stats'.)