read-string!/partial on non-file ports

From: Luigi Semenzato
Subject: read-string!/partial on non-file ports
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 12:25:50 -0700

Greetings,

I would like to move binary data between two guile
applications across a pipe (opened with open-input-output-pipe).
Read-char and write-char in a loop are going to be too slow.
Read-string!/partial and write-string/partial are exactly what
I need but they only work on file ports.  (I get this error:
Wrong type argument in position 2 (expecting open file port):
#<input-output: soft 56f1d0>).

Two questions.

1. Do I have other choices?  I cannot find any.

2. If I have no other choices, should I write my own extension
to do block read/writes on pipes, or should I coordinate with
you folks to add this feature to guile?

Thanks!
Luigi