Re: Anyone relying on "break-at" breakpoints?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Anyone relying on "break-at" breakpoints?
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 11:33:43 +0200

Hi,

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

> There are (at least) three possibly interesting requirements that this
> doesn't cover.  Right now I'm still wondering about these, so ideas
> are welcome.
>
> 1. The Guile application is going to load a file that contains
>    directly-executed code as well as procedure definitions, and you
>    want to set a breakpoint (ahead of time) on some of the
>    directly-executed code.

But this ("directly-executed" code) is bad style anyway.  ;-)

> 2. You want to set a breakpoint somewhere in the middle of a complex
>    procedure, not right at the beginning of it.
>
> 3. You're using Guile interactively (e.g. using the GDS interface in
>    Emacs) and want to step through the evaluation of some code (which
>    isn't a procedure definition).
>
> I think your question was aiming at (2) - is that right?

Exactly.

But wasn't `break-at' useful when, e.g., hitting `C-x SPC' in an Emacs
buffer (GDS)?  Or probably it works differently because the code is not
loaded into the GDS "server" from the file you're editing in Emacs,
right?

Thanks,
Ludovic.