Re: "soso" X update; xplay.git available

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: "soso" X update; xplay.git available
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 16:44:34 +0100

Hi!

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> 2/ a small work-in-progress collection of client code
>    <http://www.gnuvola.org/wip/xplay.git> is also available.
>    most likely this will see sporadic activity as we gain
>    experience w/ both new code (see `io' in xplay/seriously.scm)
>    and new way of sharing work in progress (git).  any tips from
>    experienced async-i/o hackers or git users welcome!

FWIW, Guile-RPC[0] has some code to allow for asynchronous RPC handling,
on the server-side (see `serve-one-stream-request/asynchronous' in `(rpc
rpc server)').  The idea is to pass the RPC handler a continuation that
it must invoke to actually return the RPC result over the network.
Thus, RPC call can be decoupled from RPC return (e.g., you can have an
application-level scheduler that first schedules the RPC handler and at
some later point schedules the return continuation).

I guess continuation-passing style could also be used to implement
asynchronous calls on the client-side.

> of course, all this is to get to a new window manager.  figure of merit
> will be how little xplay must evolve to get there.  can't be far, can it?

At any rate, this and your framework to handle the X protocol look cool!

Thanks,
Ludovic.

[0] http://www.gnu.org/software/guile-rpc/