[announce] GEE/Streams 0.1

From: Marco Maggi
Subject: [announce] GEE/Streams 0.1
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 20:34:56 +0100

GEE/Streams is a C language library extension for Guile, the
GNU's  Ubiquitous Intelligent  Language for  Extensions.  It
implements  a  replacement for  the  (ice-9 streams)  module
distributed with Guile.

If we are not Scheme newbies and we see a form starting with
(fold  ...):  we  know  immediately  the  structure  of  its
code. There is a great advantage if we compare this with the
time  required   to  understand  the  control   flow  of  an
equivalent explicitly coded form.

Streams are an answer to  the questions: ``Is it possible to
apply  a FOLD  like  procedure to  a  non--list sequence  of
values?  And what about MAP and FOR-EACH?''

Guile already  comes with the (ice-9  streams) module, which
allows Scheme level code to iterate over non--list sequences
of values.  GEE/Streams is a C language re-implementation of
the same  interface that  allows both Scheme  and C  code to
define streams.

The advantages upon the pure Scheme module are:

* speed, especially with long sequences;

* the procedures work with streams, lists and vectors;

* (gee misc  streams-1) loads GOOPS: a class  is defined and
  bound  to  the <stream>  symbol;  that  way GOOPS  generic
  functions can dispatch  methods for streams (unfortunately
  there is no way to select a base <sequence> class);

streams can be implemented with  both a Scheme or C producer
function.

<https://gna.org/projects/gee>
<http://download.gna.org/gee/gee-streams/gee-streams-0.1b5-src.tar.bz2>

--
Marco Maggi

"Now feel the funk blast!"
Rage Against the Machine - "Calm like a bomb"