Re: Compilation failure.

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Compilation failure.
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 14:59:30 +0100

2008/5/28 Frank J. R. Hanstick <address@hidden>:
> Hello,
>        I am trying to build guile for MacOS 10.4.11 and run into the
> following error:
>
> readline.c:109: error: 'rl_pending_input' undeclared (first use in this
> function)

Please see the "FAQ" file, which reads as appended below.  In case
that doesn't help, please let us know.

Regards,
         Neil

** readline.c: error: `rl_pending_input' undeclared

This occurs if the Readline library detected by Guile's configure
script is actually the BSD Editline project's supposedly
Readline-compatible library.  The immediate fix is to uninstall
Editline and install the real GNU Readline instead.  When you do this,
please note that it probably won't work to keep Editline in /usr and
install GNU Readline in /usr/local (or some similar arrangement),
because the Editline library will then still be picked up at link and
run time; it's best (subject to other constraints) to remove Editline
completely.

For the longer term, please also report this problem to the Editline
project, to encourage them to fix it in the next release of their
Readline compatibility library.