Re: Debugging hints wanted

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Debugging hints wanted
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 17:00:02 +0200

Hi,

Roland Orre <address@hidden> writes:

> Yes, but I'm still using 1.7 because of the changes in API from
> 1.7 to 1.8. I haven't investigated this deeply though, hopefully
> easy to make some compatibility macros. In most modules I use
> SCM_VELTS, SCM_UVECTOR_LENGTH, SCM_VECTOR_LENGTH, scm_make_vector,
> scm_make_uvector,SCM_UVECTOR_BASE,SCM_BITVECTOR_LENGTH,
> SCM_BITVECTOR_BASE, SCM_VALIDATE_VECTOR,SCM_WRITABLE_VELTS,
> scm_array_set_x, scm_array_fill_x,scm_c_make_vector,
> scm_c_make_uvector
> (quick grep through the code)
>
> I just counted the occurances of these above in the modules I use
> daily and got 565. OK, if the macros can just be replaced, then
> it would just be a few defines, but as I've understood they are
> quite incompatible. This is a tedious work which would take me
> a few weeks to certify that all changes are correct.

Hmm, indeed.  I don't think all of these changed.  For those that did
change, you could write some compatibility layer that will make them
available on 1.8, instead of rewriting all the code (well, as a first
trial).

> Yes, I wish that would be easy... but I anticipate a lot of work
> for that. Work with an uncertain outcome and very long pay off.

The thing is, we won't be able to investigate bugs in 1.7.

You could as well browse the repository history and backport potentially
useful fixes, but I'm not sure it'd be a good strategy.

Thanks,
Ludovic.